Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Review: Graveyard Shift


Graveyard Shift
Graveyard Shift by Chris Westwood

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Now that was one awesome read!

I can't begin to describe how unique and wonderful this story is without giving spoilers. The story opens with our protagonist Ben Harvester, who meets the eccentric Mr. October in a cemetery. I loved the relationship between Ben and Mr. October because it was reminiscent of John Bellairs's Professor Childermass and Johnny Dixon, an old man and a young boy becoming friends. After Ben and Mr. October meet, they run into each other again, but this time things get a little more creepy. Soon Ben is initiated into a group who helps Ghosts.

But there is also another group that wants to use the ghosts for something sinister and Ben only has a small amount of time before they come after him. I loved the characters in this book. They came to life so wonderfully and I thoroughly enjoyed the small amounts of actions and creepiness. If you are looking for a middle grade book to give you the creeps but also take you on a fantastic adventure, pick up Graveyard Shift by Chris Westwood when it hits shelves 7/1/12. If you live in the UK you can pick it up now as Ministry of Pandemonium.

Thank you to Scholastic for sending me this for review.

-R.D.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment